Saturday, January 19, 2008

Ozoneless

I've found out from the local riders why the sun here could cook a steak in the palm of your hand.  Apparently pollution (that they blamed on China and the US) has destroyed the majority of the ozone layer over New Zealand, leaving it extremely exposed to UV rays (the UV index is frequently 12, whereas I've never seen it go over 8 at home).

I've been riding a fair bit lately, and have met most of the scene here (real nice guys).  Most of them are real rippers and I see bangers constantly when I'm riding with them.  The street here is unreal; I'll have to take some pics soon.

I went to the movies the other night to see Cloverfield.  It was a fantastic movie; something with virtually zero cheese-factor, which is nice to see.  One strange aspect of their theatre was that they have assigned seating.  So even though there were plenty of empty seats I "had" to sit next to a couple; kind of odd.

I went grocery shopping today, which is still a novelty to me.  I always seem to forget to get a cart on my way in and am then forced to scavenge for an abandoned one.  I also generally forget that I can only buy as much as I can carry on the bus.

No comments: