Thursday, March 20, 2008

A book under belt


The store I work for is now open, which is a little lame.  Now there are swarms of customers, more rushing, and a uniform.  My work pants are very MC Hammer/parachute style, minus the 80's color scheme.  I had completely forgotten that this weekend is Easter (if I didn't work, I'm sure it would have passed without my knowing it); this means four day weekend, sweet.  
I don't have great people skills.  

From time to time I happen to meet some great people, but I suck at starting conversation, and at small talk.  I want to work on this, but it just seems beyond me.  I got to completely skip all the BS when I met Scott (Hamilton Peters) in Arthur's Pass.  I was sitting alone at The Wobbly Kea, and he asked if he could join me.  It turned out that he was also in philosophy (Masters in it from U of Chicago), and that he was one of the nicest, smartest people around.  Great guy all around.  He even likes Nietzsche, and gave me his favorite book, which he thinks I'll love.  Have a good summer in Alaska, Scott.

I'm booked to leave for Queenstown next Saturday for a week; I'd like to spend more time than that there, and most likely will.  I'm all about mountain climbing down there, as well as a few more 'extreme' things.  Speaking (writing?) of mountain climbing, I found that I had the best cell reception of my entire trip (to this point) from the top of Mt. Bealey in Arthur's Pass.  I called the 'rents from up there, and not only was the delay quite minimal, but the reception was clear as a bell.

People here say "How are you going?", which I suppose is a combination of the 'North American' phrases "How are you doing?" and "How is it going?".  I found that I said it today without even thinking about it; freaky.  I also frequently say 'rubbish' instead of 'garbage', and 'nicked' (sp?) or 'pinched' instead of 'stole/stolen'.

For reasons beyond me, the above photo (taken above the tree line on Mt. Bealey) gives me a strange, bad feeling, and freaks me out in general, but I'm fascinated by it at the same time.  What do you think?

3 comments:

Kayla said...

I automatically thought Teletubbies when I saw this picture.. It looks as though they should be coming out of their little house and frolicking across that meadow at any moment.

bruce said...

looks kinda fake but I like it-- you take good, interesting pics
love to see a pic of u in your store uniform

Unknown said...

If you have read this article hoping to read about a miracle lida slimming to lose weight, then you've still come to the right place. The only daidaihua I know of that really works is a sleeping lida . In harsh reality, the hardest lida daidaihua to swallow is the one that you don't want to hear: eating less and having lower caloric intake while properly exercising, is the only viable solution that is guaranteed to work every time.