Sunday, March 16, 2008

Another day, another mountain

Hello all.  I got up fairly early today (9am) and made my way up Mt Bealey.  It's almost exactly the same height as Avalanche Peak, but considerably more difficult to climb, and I didn't see a single person the whole day.  The hike went great, and I saw (therefore took pictures of) some incredible views.  On the way up it was a little cloudy, but once I passed the low peak it open up and gave great 360* views.  I also had great cell reception up at the peak, so I gave Mom and Dad a call from 6000 feet up.  The descent was insane, as you easily gain momentum going down such a steep area; it took me less than half the time to get down than it did to get to the top.  At a few points I was borderline sprinting down, as it was almost easier than trying to slow myself down.  It takes a lot of concentration to run down a steep rocky/rooty area and use your hands to support yourself on vines/trees along the way. Check Picasa for pics.

I found out today that the height of the mountains doesn't include the 920m (about 3000) feet above sea level that Arthur's Pass sits at.  I'm not sure if all mountains are measured to the base, or if their heights are usually in relation to sea level.  

I head back to Chch tomorrow for two more weeks of work, then it's nothing but travel until I'm home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For such a man, replica watch with a leather strap will not be suitable. The sweat and grime will erode the strap in no time and he will have to replace the strap in no time. And you should be looking at a chronograph or a replica Gucci watches such as the replica Rolex watches , which is very suitable for water sports or just for the rugged outdoor lifestyle.